News & Features - What’s happening now
April 4, 2019
You’re invited: Help chart our course for the next 5 years
Be a Part of it: Strategic Plan 2019-2024
Coming up: We’re launching four community dialogue sessions starting April 4 – and you’re invited.
The New Westminster Schools Board of Education welcomes and values your ideas as we set out on a journey together to develop a five-year strategic plan that will inspire student learning to 2024.
Please join us for this important series of community dialogues. Our conversation with you – our parents, students, community members and entire learning community – will be guided by these questions:
How can we anchor our work on a daily basis in our mission to ensure each student in our schools is learning in a safe, engaging and inclusive environment?
- How can see our values in action, no matter where we look: Inclusion, Innovation, Integrity, Collaboration, Engagement, and Equity?
- How can we make our vision a reality, so that New Westminster Schools is indeed a place where students love to learn?
“We are looking at setting key directions that will anchor us as we address a changing educational landscape in a rapidly growing community,” said New Westminster Schools Superintendent, Karim Hachlaf.
That includes looking at such issues as long-range planning for future schools and facilities, addressing how technology supports teaching and learning, supporting personalized learning that engages all of our diverse learners, and nurturing our community partnerships.
The process of setting up interviews, creating engagement teams, and holding community dialogue sessions and surveys will help us get clear about the aspirations of our students, parents, staff and community; get focused on the directions we will choose to follow, and get moving with concrete objectives that will lead to results.
Student representatives from our middle schools and high school gathered last month for the district’s first ever student symposium. They shared their ideas on what is most important for student learning – part of an in-depth Budget process that is unfolding along with our newly launched Five-Year Strategic Plan discussion.
Community Dialogue Sessions
We invite you to you participate in one of our four upcoming community dialogue sessions. Please go to this link and select one or more dates, as outlined below, by Friday, March 29. Childminding will be available for each of our sessions.
- Thursday, April 4 (6-8:30pm) – Long-Range Facilities Community Consultation, Lord Tweedsmuir Elementary School Gym, 1714 Eighth Avenue
- Saturday, April 6 (9-11:30am) – Community Dialogue Strategic Planning Consultation, Fraser River Middle School Gym, 800 Queens Avenue
- Wednesday, April 17 (6-8:30pm) – Community Dialogue Strategic Planning Consultation, Herbert Spencer Elementary School Gym, 605 Second Street
- Monday, April 29 (6-8:30pm) – Community Dialogue Strategic Planning Consultation, Queensborough Middle School Gym, 833 Salter Street
Our Five-Year Strategic Plan process is being launched in conjunction with ongoing budget discussions that will allocate 2019-2020 budget resources this spring in support of student learning.